Thursday, June 20, 2013

I got big bush and I can not lie

Yeah, you are now either singing "I like big butts" or you are thinking "what is she talking about?!". My tomato plant and basil bush are taking over the world!!!! Ok, not the world, the planter box. See?? 
See that green thing in the lower left hand corner? That's a kids plastic bat. Compare that to my bushes. I counted 10+ tomatoes today, and many, many buds. Tomatoes for life yo. Now the basil. I read to cut the flowers off. I didn't. And look what that got me?! Yeah bountiful basil. I actually was going to cut it off today when I went out to get some basil, but I couldn't. Know why? Bees. Not that I'm scared of bees, but it's the whole bee shortage thing. Protect the bees! I just knelt there watching the little guy go to flower to flower doing his thing. I've never taken the time to watch one. It's quite amazing. So I didn't cut the flowers. If the bees like it, and my plant is doing dandy, then I'll let it be(e). 

My son Carter is mainly paleo, I'd go as far as saying he's 90/10 (take that 80/20). The other day he asked what was for lunch. I said "chicken and.." He jumps in "broccoli? Can I steam it? Can I make a smoothie too? By myself?".. Ok back up. This kid always had an interest in cooking. When he was a baby, he was mesmerized by Ina Gartens voice. Kid you not. He loved Chopped, and CupcakeWars, and Sweet Genius. But.. We don't have tv (cable, we have a tv for Netflix, and DVDs). He also got into Aina in Schools, which is a program at his school that teaches you about gardening, nutrition and sustainability. The Kokua Foundation (http://tinyurl.com/l8xg5gu) is behind the Aina in Schools program. It's amazing. Chef Ed Kenney of Town (http://tinyurl.com/kl88xj) came to the school and taught Carter's grade how to make pesto. They served it up with Chef Ed's amazing homemade noodles, and it was love at first bite. After that day in class, Carter bugged me to take him to Town. I told him he could go there on his last day of second grade, and that we did, and he ordered the pasta. 

Aina in Schools is amazing. Kokua Foundation is amazing, and Towns food is amazing. But, my kid, he's outstanding. You know what he wants to do? He wants to write a book of healthy smoothies, and treats that he thinks kids will enjoy. He actually made his first one up today! And yes, he got to steam his broccoli the other day too, but he said it wasn't as good as mine. ;) 

So watch out for guest posts by him! Remember he's 8. :) 

Next school year, I'm helping with Aina in schools, Carter is really excited for that! I am secretary on the PTO and co-chairing the health and wellness committee (name change coming soon), whew! Both kids will be in school, I might as well dive in volunteering! 
This shot cracks me up. Bear with her helmet, watering the green house. That planter box next to her? That's where the tomato and basil are. This pic was taken in March. Crazy! 

Till next time! 

2 comments: